View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have AFOs that go from just below the knee down to my toes. They are about the same as a cast or walking boot in the way it positions my ankle/feet. I have RSD in both feet. I have had multiple stress fractures in both feet. I wear the AFOs when I must drive, stand or walk for long periods. Such as going grocery shopping. Sometimes I wear one or both at night in bed, if the pain is really bad.

I try to go without them most of the time, because casting is supposed to be problem for RSD. But, if I am going out for errands or shopping, I almost always wear them.

Mine make my feet feel better because it takes the pressure off my feet and puts some on my calf. Also keeps the bones straight and in the right position.

I wear diabetic type knee high tube socks with them.

You might find it squeaks when you walk. A little baby powder inside your shoe should help that.

Start out only wearing it for short periods.

Be mindful that the orthotist has to get it right... Your foot needs to be in just the right position when it is fitted, or you may have trouble with it putting pressure on your knee over time. So, if your knee or hip start to bother you be sure to go back to have the AFO checked.

I think a lot of the success has to do with the skill of the orthotist.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SusanM (05-13-2017), tkayewade (10-07-2012)