View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Alice

Have you tried doing your own informal testing, tracking on yourseslf? I am thinking if nothing else we can learn to exercise, use our energy smarter!
Yes, this was my approach.

I realized that I have to learn how to redefine my limits.

I had a formal Exercise test at some point (my pulmonologist wanted to gain a better understanding of my respiratory difficulties) but at that time they didn't know how to interpret it.

I tried to see if my limitations were only because of my respiratory difficulties (by walking on a treadmill connected to my respirator).

I asked a marathon trainer (who is also a respiratory/sport's physician) to make me an exercise plan, based on my VO2 max, but similar to what he does with marathon runners.

I checked the effects of various nutritional interventions.

And I am still learning.

I believe in the Cognitive part of CBT.

I think that when a patient better understands his/her illness they can live much better with it and have much more control over it.

But, this has to be a true understanding, or else it is counterproductive.

Disinformation is worse (in my opinion) than no information.

I often see patients in my clinic who were never given a good explanation regarding their medical condition/ treatment. Just giving them proper information in a way they can understand leads to a significant difference in their well-being and also translates to better outcomes in measurable parameters.

That is why it was so important for me to know the truth about my illness and not accept BS explanations.

BTW, this is nice proof that some patients with MG really go into remission.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/...opes_1_1336380

You can't run a marathon with active MG. And it doesn't have to do with will power or a "positive attitude".

Maybe if there will be a better understanding of muscle function and the immune system, we will be able to understand what makes some respond so well to treatment and others not.

And this is a true source of hope.

Last edited by alice md; 10-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StephC (10-07-2012)