View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
Thanks, guys. It looks like my experience is pretty typical. I think the reason it surprised me so much that no one wants to talk about my MG is that I've spent so much time listening to the details of my friends' medical problems. So I thought it was normal for people to talk about their illnesses, and to listen to each other. Evidently it's not.

I still don't know if all humans feel like they're in a Star Trek episode, doing an away mission on an alien planet where the culture is weird and foreign and trying to extract generalized rules of behavior in order to fake it and pass for a native...or if that's just me. On the other hand, apparently I'm a good friend and an exceptionally good listener.

On the other hand, the next time a friend asks me if this illness still makes me feel tired in the evenings, I'm going to say, "The problem is not that I get tired, but that some of my muscles become temporarily paralyzed."

Abby
I think it has to do with the severity of our problems. My mom has friends that tell her every time their constipated or have the sniffles. And when I think about it, its much easier to call into work and say, "I'm sick today, I must have some bug;" than it is to say, "My legs don't work today I don't think I'll be able to walk in."

People want to hear about problems they can relate to. "Your constipated, oy vey, I hate that," as opposed to, "what do you mean your legs don't work?"

When I called in Thursday, I just told my boss there were complications with the PLEX. I figured that would be a whole lot easier to explain than telling him my bladder muscles stopped working due to one of my neuro-muscular conditions.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (10-08-2012)