View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

Thanks for your reply, Bryanna. Am I wrong in thinking that my wisdom tooth has become trapped because it has been blocked by the bone graft? I have researched about bone grafting and found out that the procedure is used for dental implants and NOT for extraction of second molar. My dentist told me that my wisdom teeth was too close to my sinus so it would be safer to remove the second molar. I am suspecting that my dentist has performed additional procedures (sinus lift and insertion of bone fillers and membranes) so that he could overcharge me when collagen (which is much cheaper) could have been used instead. Have you heard anyone with the same case as mine before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Sonuger,

Bone graft material is used to stimulate the growth of new bone to help fill in the hole that was left from the extracted tooth. The graft actually becomes the new bone, not additional bone. You may be envisioning bone growth upon bone... that is not the case. Without the graft, the hole would close higher leaving an indentation in the bone.

To determine how well the bone graft has taken and to see the location of the wisdom tooth, you could get an xray at your dental office.

Bryanna

QUOTE=Sonuger;919588]Hi everyone,

I am now 32 years old and it's been more than a year since I underwent a procedure where my second molar was removed instead of my wisdom teeth along with sinus lift and insertion of bone filler and membrane to my sinus cavity. However, my upper wisdom teeth has not come out yet and I'm worried that it might erupt in an abnormal position because it has been blocked by the bone graft. Has anyone heard or encountered a similar situation before? Your feedback will be highly appreciated.
[/QUOTE]
Sonuger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote