View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default That is--

--a very low B12 number: I'd be surprised if you didn't have other symptoms as well.

I certainly think B12 can help you--has there been any further investigation done to figure out why that number is so low? Inquiry into the prsence of intrinsic factor in the stomach, autoantibodies, etc.

Fortunately, B12 deficiency can be treated. And the latest evidence points to oral supplementation being just as effective as the standard injection regimen. See:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

My advice would be to supplement with 3000-5000mcg/day of B12, preferably the methylcobalamin form (in case you have any genetic inability to convert the commercial forms, which are usually cyanocobalamin, into the bodily active methylated form--fortunately one can now get this easily) until serum levels show a marked increase into four digit readings--obviously, you should monitor your symptoms, too. You may eventually be able to cut back to a maintenance dose of 1000mcg/day, though you will likely need to do this for life.

Take the lozenges first thin upon waking up, if you can, at least an hour before consuming anything else; the cobalamin molecule is the largest nutritive molecule our body regularly uses and it is very easy to interfere with its absorption (fiber, for example, will complex it out).
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote