View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've had pn since 1999. I had a knee replacement in 2008, and esophagus and gall bladder surgeries since then. It's been my experience that doctors always prescribe fluoroquinolones to prevent infection following surgery, even if you tell them about your neuropathy and that this family of antibiotics will make it worse. The last time I had surgery the doctor told me that I didn't give him much of a choice as far as drugs to prevent infection after surgery.

The only drugs I take at present are synthroid and eye drops for glaucoma; however, I take all the recommended supplements because I have the burning/cold feet all the time. I also have eliminated sugar from my diet. I use the magnesium lotion that Mrs D recommends on the inside of my arms and on my ankles at night. Actually, I get along pretty well in spite of the burning/cold feet, and count my blessings that I can take a daily 20-30 minute walk around the park every day.

I would wait as long as possible to have knee surgery cuz there's no replacement that works as well as the one you were born with! However, when you get that bone-on-bone pain, I know you'll do about anything to stop it. Just be sure you follow through and do all the exercises following surgery cuz you don't want a stiff knee! Good luck.

Joan
Joano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
skippyfeet (10-16-2012)