View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 9 Mths Post Surgery - New Atrophy :-(

Hi all,
I had 1st rib resection and anterior scalenectomy in January of this year. After some complications, I was on the mend and had near complete resolution of TOS symptoms, though shoulder impingement was severe and required a lot of phys therapy to get on the right track. I have much better range of motion in shoulders (yup...both shoulders wonky), but I cannot throw a ball with either arm or I will be on the floor with searing pain. I can live with that, as I was just happy to be pain free at rest...finally! I no longer feel like there is a tourniquet on my arm, and for that I am extremely grateful.

Well, about 3 months ago I noticed a small "dent" at the top of my arm on side my TOS surgery was on. We moved across the Country in June, so I have largely ignored this dent. However, it is becoming much more pronounced, an it is clear my deltoid is atrophying away. I am also experiencing intermittent deep, boring pain in that area. I will, of course, pursue a doctor's evaluation (dreading starting up this whole military health care referral process...took over 7 years to get to surgery from onset of symptoms the first time around), but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. What is especially perplexing is that I did not have this atrophy before surgery. I had atrophy in my scapula and hand, but not my deltoid...this is new.

Just throwing it out there for consideration. Also, I'm now living in Virginia near, in D.C. area...any doctor recommendations? I was thinking John's Hopkins, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!
hollyjohnson71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote