Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Sarah, Welcome.

Many of us here (self included) have similar problems (messed up cervical spine with stenosis). While one can't argue with that (because of the imaging) I'm not sure you have the right doctor if he dismisses/ doesn't believe in fibro, but that depends more on how you feel about that (his disbelief in fibro and being the right doctor for you).

I'll second Leesa's comments.
Google: failed back syndrome

It's difficult to say what you should or should not be doing (even with imaging reports) -- we're not doctors here, and even the doctors may disagree on that. Personally, I've tried traction (part of physical therapy) and it helps from time to time (I bought a home unit) but it doesn't help everyone. I stay as active as I can (other medical issues as well) but I've stopped putting any direct stress/strain on my neck (neck straps, weight supported on head, kids hanging on me with arms around neck, etc.) The wrong kind of stress there could exacerbate things and make surgery no longer an option.

Some natural healing can and may occur if further damage can be avoided. I've had some natural healing and some further deterioration (I'm a bit older than you) but I've managed to hold the surgeons off (mine actually advised against surgery in my case for reasons stated in Leesa's answer) and by following the advice above, and continuing different PT exercises and massage therapy, reduced much of the pain and accompanying headaches.

As no two patients (nor their necks) are the same, no two paths or results are likely to be the same either. We each must find what works best for us. This isn't going to go away; we'll be dealing with it for life. There's no fault or anything you've done to bring it on. Much of it is genetic, some environmental, and some life experiences. DDD is the result of osteoarthritis, so taking care of yourself in that respect may help retard the progression of the DDD.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote