View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Accountant,

When I say concussion will eat your life and spit it out, I am talking about how you struggles will continue to accumulate in your work, personal and social life. As your job performance starts to be noticed as less than stellar, your personal life becomes a struggle and your social life falls apart as you eventually have an outburst or other event that is not a part of your normal experience prior to your injury, your life can come crashing down. Depression is a common result of this crash.

You are not likely making anything worse by not resting but you are putting yourself at greater risk of another head injury and the cumulative effects of that.

Concussion recovery and a busy work, social and personal life are not compatible. You may need to consider some counseling in relaxation skills. There are activities that have a more relaxing pace. I don't know what is available to you. Maybe a class in ballroom dancing or some other activity that involves physical movement. Swimming laps for distance can eat up a lot of time and provide some great physical benefit.

One thing I have experience with is the TOO Busy life. Both my own and observing others. Even the uninjured brain will suffer from constant activity. It can result in psychiatric problems, depression, bi-polar disorder, anxiety disorders, etc. Most people I know who have lived a too busy life have some sort of life crash in their 40's or early 50's. And they did not have head injuries. Head injuries just magnify this risk.

Quiet rest means your brain slows down and your body does not work to extremes. Simple manual labor can be good. You have seen how you current life of busy has not helped with your recovery. Only you can find the road to less stress and fatigue.

I wish you the best. It is a difficult struggle.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-14-2012)