View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Banned User

10 yr Member
Banned User

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Some tests are best done over, when slightly out of range results come in. This is because the lab may not have good calibration that day for certain things.

Also, you should be well hydrated when having a blood test, because if you are not, concentrations may be "off".

Your MCV is a bit high, and may be related to the B12 numbers.
Your potassium is low. Either you are not eating properly or losing it somehow. (diarrhea or thru the kidneys). When a person first starts B12, there is a short period of time that potassium is used up quickly making new red blood cells.
This may be your problem, if the potassium was done after you started the B12. I don't see dates on those tests.

Typically doctors don't respond to mildly out of range values, unless they already have a diagnosis in mind.
I believe that potassium level was done before I started the B12, but I'm confused by the dates on these tests, too. The setup of the paperwork almost makes it look like the higher B12 reading was the FIRST reading, and the lower one was from the retest. I don't know, though. I'll have to ask for clarification.

When I go see my new neurologist, I'll ask her if we can run my blood work again.

Thanks for the input!
medicalmystery7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-12-2012)