View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
I did not want to hijack the other thread, but I am curious. Was anyone else placed under a heat lamp prior to their EMG/NCS ?
At Johns Hopkins they did this and it took almost a hour before they thought I was warm enough to proceed. Now I should explain that I have CMT and am always cold. I was very, very cold in the hospital that day, although it was June. There was no expectation of a normal EMG as I had already been diagnosed with hereditary neuropathy and was there for a second opinion. I had a skin biopsy on a subsequent visit, final diagnosis large and small fiber neuropathies with muscle loss, and pinched nerves. Probable CMT type 2. Tested negative for HNPP.

Glenn's response in the earlier thread would seem to indicate that cold conditions are preferred for the test. Anyone else get the old French fry treatment?
When I had my 2nd NCV, the room was so cold and I felt cold (well, I always feel cold anyway when everybody else is feeling warm). The nurse wrapped my legs with warm compress saying that it should "condition" my nerves. I did not ask if that was relevant to the test or if she was j ust being nice to make me feel comfortable.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012), Susanne C. (10-12-2012)