View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Infected root canal

Hi im new to this site and would really love some advice, about 8 years ago two of my front teeth were decayed so when i finally plucked up the courage to go to the dentist i had them filed down to little pegs and had crowns put on i was in severe pain afterwards and never went back so i had pain on and off over the years then it got worse so i found a new dentist about 3 years ago he did root canal on the two teeth but afterwards the pain was unbearable so i kept going back and he redid the root canals again and was very rough and not very understanding he said i cant have pain because the nerve was removed the pain settled a bit so my new crowns were put on then again i never went back so suffered on and off for a year then i got a new dentist who i like and was very understanding he took xrays which showed that only half of the nerves had been removed so he redid the root canals through the back of the crowns afterwards i was alot better but one of the tooth my big front one still hurt on and off mildly and never felt normal so i just carried on but it started to hurt again more frequent so i had the root canal redone again in august and a few days after it started throbbing very bad and i felt very unwell i had a fever and pain in my face and had bad migraines which i have never had in my life i got antibiotics off the doctor which helped but when id finished them i felt ill again i went back to the dentist who gave me more antibiotics and said get some blood tests done off the doctor because he didnt think my tooth was the problem which i did and they didnt show anything wrong anyway i did start to feel better but my tooth still hurt so my dentist has referred me for an apicoectomy i had my consultation a week ago and he said that the root canal looks fine so there must be a chronic infection at the tip of the root he said i have an 80 per cent chance of saving the tooth which could last 8-10 years but he cant say for sure he will definitely remove all of the infection i couldnt decide what to do so have 2 weeks to decide then if i say yes an 8 week wait for the surgery at the moment my tooth has constant dull ache sometimes throbs it hurts to tap it smells foul around it and i have a foul taste on and off i believe from the tooth and also since the root canal i have mild face ache next to my nose on and off, if i have the tooth pulled i will have to wear a partial denture for 3 months then will get a maryland bridge i just dont know what to do try and save or pull all my family have said pull and im sure are fed up of me going on about it but im only 28 and scared of wearing a denture and then a bridge that could keep falling out if it wasnt my front tooth i would have had it pulled years ago also if its pulled would the infection stay in my mouth or would it come out with the tooth? any advice would be great i just feel depressed and worn down with the whole thing
wndy17 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote