Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

OK,,,,I'm not an MD so take this as is,,,but that sounds like classic cause (dental) and classic TN.

Don't believe the age factor,, you can look on this forum and see lots of people in their early 20's with it....to hell with your PCP get a referral to a Neurologist...Now.

Lyrica might help but in my limited experience it's not the best drug to start with. Tegretol is. The side effects can be difficult at first but first, it's usually the best drug to help diagnose if it is TN and second after a few months the side effects can diminish as your body gets used to it...
Lyrica is usually a second or "mix" drug. If you've been taking a drug for some time and it's been working but now you get to a point where it's not doing quite as well as it did they will often add a drug to see if the combination or "cocktail" of the two works better,,,,that's usually where Lyrica does its best.

Now, please remember that everyone's systems are different and no one I've met has ever taken the same meds or doses as I have...it's very individualized,,,it will be for you too. You will need to stay open to what a Neuro suggests and what drugs he/she may feel are best for you especially if you have any medical conditions...

Look for a Neuro that Listens to you and takes your pain seriously. Start keeping a pain journal,, see if you can find any triggers that set it off or even if the time of day is involved...it helps the MD for you to know as much about your pain as you can so you can help him understand it.

Don't be afraid to get a second opinion especially if you don't "click" with the MD,, they are a partner in your health and even if you have insurance you are paying for a service,,part of that service is listening to you!!

I would suggest, because it can't hurt, get rid of aspartame, MSG and caffeine (or limit the caffeine) also quit using anything that has a tooth whitener in it,,,they can all effect the severity of the attacks. And start on a good B complex Vitamin,,,the B vitamins help rebuild the mylean sheath around the nerve,,if it is TN it will help,,it takes a little while but a B complex is always a good one anyway...

So hopefully this helps and gets you started in a good direction,,remember we are here for you and have been where you are so nothing you say will sound crazy and we all believe you....unlike some MD's sometimes!!!

Let us know what happens,,,,,Beth
BethO2L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote