View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks

I am so happy I found this thread...

So in the last week of July.. about 11 weeks ago.. I hit my head getting out of a car.. it hurt pretty bad but it didn't knock me out.. which I now know (according to the doctor's in my area) is the key to "getting a concussion"..anyway I didn't think anything of it until the next day, when the back of my head started to swell and hurt where it had been hit.. 2 days later I decided to go to a urgent care to see if anything was wrong and they said it was just a bump and to take some muscle relaxers.. but by the time I got home the dizziness set in.. and I don't know what it's like for all of you.. but this scared me.. it wasn't like any other kind of dizziness I had known before.. it was like a pulsing, pounding dizziness that seemed to reach from the top of my head to the tip of my toes and NOTHING made it stop.. they prescribed meclizine which helped a little.. I went to the ER for a CT scan which they said looked fine, but the pain and dizziness stayed for about a week.. at that point I stopped taking the meclizine and went back to my normal routine.. tv, computer, loud music in headphones, dancing... all the usual..

and about a week later.. I woke up feeling so dizzy I could barely move.. it came with extreme sensitivity to light and sound... it's like anything could trigger an "attack".. that lasted for a few days at which point I went to a physical therapist who wanted to treat me for "vertigo".. that obviously didn't work and after a few more days the dizziness subsided...

Basically after that things gradually got better, little by little.. I think the noise sensitivity has improved to the point that the tv doesn't bother me anymore... nor do every-day noises.. I still cannot tolerate loud concerts and I haven't tried to use my headphones again.. the light sensitivity is better.. but I still have trouble in the bright sunshine.. I squint a lot.. I tried glasses, but they only made me worse since I do not have a vision problem...

I still feel "off" somedays.. I don't know how to describe it but if I have been stressed or even if I just did a lot that day.. I will feel kind of foggy-headed or slightly dizzy, but in a different way than before..usually at that point my nerves set in though and I start getting scared that the bad dizziness is going to come back, which doesn't help...

So far I'm taking it little by little.. I feel like all my friends and family think I'm making a bigger deal out of something that isn't a big deal.. but they just don't understand..

I had to drop out of college because of this...and as a 4.0 student, it sucked...I don't have a job because I don't really know if I can handle one yet... and there isn't anyone that's been able to guide me through this.. that's how I found this thread... I was never accurately diagnosed.

Last night I went to church meeting and they had really loud music playing and bright flashing lights shining out from the stage and I really freaked out thinking it was going to send me back into a dizzy spell but I seem to be alright today..

When is the point where you start taking chances and doing things you used to do without being stupid about your healing process?

When am I going to not have anymore symptoms? If I haven't had a major dizzy spell in 2 months, am I likely to have another one?

Am I on the right track?

Thank you all for your help. I am trying to trust the Lord to heal me and help guide me through this, but still want to be smart about what I'm doing day to day and what risks I'm taking..

Anna
anw1989 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-12-2012)