View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default response

Hi Barbara,
My nameis Nancy, I am a dental hygienist in Chattanooga, TN.
I am so sorry to hear your experience has been such a rough one. Bone spurs are never fun.
As to the torri, they are unfortunately genetic and will not only never go away, many times they will continue to grow as long as you live. There is a surgery to remove them, but it is not normally recommended. It is extremely painful and difficult for both the patient and oral surgeon. And over time, they can grow back. I council patients with torri to diligently take care of their teeth and gums because dentures and torrid don't go well together.
I hope your recovery is quick and the bone spurs are over!
I hope my information helped.
Nancy (fiancee of the registered User)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
I had a traumatic extraction of #31, 2 months ago, after a failed retreatment root canal. I have had recurring bone “splinter/spurs” and jaw pain ever since. The first “splinter” was easily removed by my dentist and I felt relief of pain almost immediately. It was short lived because again I felt I was “cutting” a “tooth” from the tongue side of my jaw bone. I patiently waited for the “splinter” to work its way out but it didn’t and my dentist surgically removed the bone “spur” last Monday with the promise that “It isn’t normal for them to form this far out” and “We got it this time”. I again feel the end of a bone spur sticking out (with the temperature sensitivity that accompanies the pain) and the sensation of "cutting" of a larger piece at the base of # 30. I also have boney growths (Torres?) on my lower jaw. How can this be treated or the formation of bone stopped??? What is the end result?
want2golfagain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote