View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 01:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A myasthenic brain

...Of course not!

Nevertheless, as an example, here is what has happened during my worst flare ups on a number of occasions:

Brain function will be totally normal to start a sentence and then deteriorates towards the end of it - Just in the same fatigable pattern as the other limb muscle weakness.

One day I was telling my son that I would be joining him shortly and he should go and wait in the car. By the end of that sentence I could not recall the word for´car´. I would just be standing in front of my car just staring at it and tripping over all sorts of other words like´boat´,´bus´- even the word´cooker´ And no matter how hard I tried I could not find the word that I needed. It was a frightening experience regularly having my young son finish off my sentences for me, especially seeing his concerned face knowing that something was not quite right with his Mum

During a good period I can, at a push, retrieve the word ´car´in 5 different languages.

But this left me totally helpless. Has anyone else had similar?

In just a few weeks time I will be an observer at a live brain scan on a´healthy´ subject at the biomedical imaging center of a brain research institute.
It would have been just as interesting, I think, to be able to compare a live brain scan of a patient with autoimmune illness performing a task during a flare up and another scan of the same patient doing the same task but whilst asymptomatic.
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
teresakoch (10-15-2012)