View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.
10 yr Member

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.
10 yr Member
Thumbs up Experience with Modafinil (Provigil, Nuvigil), yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwalker View Post
I just wanted to share my experience with Modafinil (the generic of Provigil) and see if anyone else is using this for PCS symptoms.

Since my 2nd concussion 1.5 years ago, I've been struggling to find something to help the brain fog and dizziness caused by my PCS.

I tried many supplements, vitamins, completely changing my diet, exercising, Acupuncture and a Chiropractor. All of which helped a little bit to help cope each day and feel good. But nothing has "fixed" my PCS or been a tremendous help. They just take the edge off.

Then on my last visit to my Neurologist, I told him I was really having a problem with brain fog. For me, that's an especially big problem because I run a business that many people are counting on. That means I can't take workers comp and take the needed rest everyone recommends.

This time he prescribed 100mg of Provigil per day. It's off label so that means it's not covered by insurance. At $1000. for 30 200mg pills (split dosage), that's a bit of a problem.

I found some Modafinil online and have been trying it for 1 week. So far, it's been a miracle drug for me. I'm cautiously optimistic, but if this keeps up, this could be the answer to others in a similar situation. Having to work and move on while dealing with PCS is a whole different game than just trying to heal.

He also recommended brain training. He said he's seen real results of people recovering from PCS with brain training from a trained psychologist. For now, I'll try lumosity and see how that goes first.

Any others here have experience with Provigil and PCS?
Hello there, sandwalker,

I too was greatly helped, for a time, by Rx Modafinil, which my PCP had to 'fight' for me, re: insurance. It is indeed still very expensive!! My nephew has also been greatly helped by this and other nootropics.

My dr Rx'd this for me during "A good year" for me, when I was feeling better and able to take on a rather all-encompassing creative project, and I needed to be as highly-functioning and free-of-the-brain-fog, as was possible. I took it on the more active days that I knew that I would "need to be sharp"; thus I did not take it on alternating "brain rest days". It helped me very much yes.

However, when "my wheels fell off" later in the year (due to overdoing it --- though I "thought" I was taking good care!! ) --- it no longer helped and only gave me an uneasy, unwanted, unneeded stimulant-feeling, which was not what I needed to feel nor to function!

Thus, it was back-to-basic-brain-rest, and as we know, "Life on hold" yet again, until further improvement/ healing/ recovery, regained, restored.

Best to you. Keep us posted, sandwalker!

Sincerely,

Theta

50s Babyboomer; 2008 high-impact rear-ended/totalled-MVC, closed-head injury->pcs ... "Still dealing with it."
1993, Fell on black ice; first closed-head injury; life-altering. // 2014 Now dealing with Peripheral Neuropathy, tremors, shakiness, vestibular disorder, akithesia, anhedonia, yada yada, likely thanks to rx meds // 2014: uprooted to the cold wet gray NW coast, trying to find a way back home ... where it's blue sky and warm!

__________________________________________________ _________
Each and every day I am better and better. I affirm and give thanks that it is so. // 2014-This was still true for me last year, I truly felt this a year ago. Unfortunately it holds no meaning for me now. Odd, it was the Theta mantra for years. Change change change.
Theta Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote