View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey, I am new to the forum too. I am currently 25 and was just diagnosed in January after months of trying new doctors and searching for answers. I do agree with Kevscar that most doctors have not heard of crps or they just don't know that much about it.

However, I think that your age probably does play a role in it too. I've experienced the same kind of treatment, and it is extremely frustrating. I would just go from doctor to doctor never getting any other answers or suggestions. Some doctors would only be in the room for a few minutes and then just give me a diagnosis and leave, and I had a couple of doctors tell me that I am way to young to be experiencing this much pain as if I was making it up. I never even thought my age could be affecting the way I am treated until I brought it up with one of the pharmacists I work with. She was the first one to suggest my age had something to do with it, but since she mentioned it a couple of months I think she is totally right.

Her suggestions were to make sure you bring someone to all of your appointments. She said doctors are much more likely to spend time with you and hear out all of your concerns as well as give better explanations if someone is in the room with you. She also said to try to write down all of your questions and bring any notes with you. Even if you don't need them to remember it makes it look like you took some time before your appt and that you are prepared. She said little things like that may help them take me seriously. I am not even on any controlled rxs yet, and the pain management dr made me come in weekly for a drug test and to count my gabapentin. Slightly extreme? I think so. Especially since I work in a pharmacy and know what drug abusers look like and how they act in comparison to me.

Just try to keep your head up high, and even though its really aggravating try not to stress about it too much cause it will probably make your pain worse.
jacque7687 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-14-2012)