Thread: Your advice
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Your advice

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and would like to relate my experience.
In July 2008 I fell into a 6 feet deep inspection pit at a garage. I hit my head and lower back. I immediately had a large bump in the occipital area with a strong burning sensation and pain. I went to my GP and he referred me to an osteopath saying that after a few sessions with him, I would be fine. This was not the case, his manipulations made me feel worse so I stopped seeing him. I was constantly dazed, with headaches, extreme anxiety, couldn't read for any length of time, couldn't watch TV, listen to the radio, a lot of pain in my lower back. I was then referred to a rehabilitation centre and there doctor focussed on prescribing treatment for my cervical spine claiming I had whiplash symtoms. Physical therapy was totally useless, in fact each time still now physios give me treatments, I feel worse. I finally decided to have a consultation with a neurologist and he diagnosed me as having post concussion syndrome and PTSD, which was not diagnosed and left untreated for all these years. He prescribed a low dose antidepressant to help with my symptoms, but after 4 years from the original concussion (and a second concussion in the meantime, I bumped the same side of my head into a doorpost ) although I feel better, I'm still plagued with headaches, short term memory and concentration problems, fatigue, noise/light sensitivity, dizziness. In the meantime I lost my job as a translator in a company (staff doctors there didn't believe in my symptoms and thought either I was malingering or that symptoms were only psychological) and separated from my partner as he couldn't stand me not being able to do previous activities and needing so much quiet time alone.
I'm meant to appear before a medical commission soon to evaluate the symptoms left by this accident and fix the degree of disability. Medical commission will be composed of three doctors, of whom a neuropsychiatrist who seems to be experienced in the evaluation of concussion. I'm soooo anxious in view of this assessment, I so much fear being again confronted with disbelief and accused of malingering. Since the accident I can't manage my emotions and I'm afraid I'll start crying in front of these doctors.
Any advice/comment would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Bluedaffodil is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-14-2012)