View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help Please: Possible PN after Lumbar Laminectomy

I am 62 years young and residing in China. I had a back problem come on rather suddenly with a left leg burning and severe pain. My foot started to get the numbness and tingling along with the burning. I could not get around so I found an Orthopedic Surgeon in China that speaks English and specializes in spine surgery. Right away they wanted to do a lumbar fusion for L4/L5 and L5/S1 and maybe others. I was against the fusion. I am familiar with herniated discs from a prior issue in 1993. I just wanted them to do a disectomy or laminectomy, whatever they thought best. There is no way I could travel with the pain and they do not give much for pain relief in China. I had the disectomy on May 29, 2012 and felt okay for a day and then things turned south. The pain was back, the burning and numbness with tingling were also back. I was limping pretty bad but could move. I was told give it some time and it would get better. I waited a month and flew to Chicago. The Neurosurgeon did a full work up and thought the doctor in China did nothing. I had a lumbar laminectomy done and the pain is all gone. I feel much better.

However, there is the compressed nerve that is still causing me tingling, and numbeness in a couple of toes and the top of the left foot. I also have some foot drop. I attribute this to the nerve compression and the length of time it was compressed, probably 3-4 months that caused discomfort. I had the surgery in the US on 29 July. So it has been 2.5 months and I still have the tingling and numbness and foot drop.

I was doing physical therapy in the US but I am back in China and things are not always so easy.So I walk and do my own exercises and I take some supplements.

Neuropathy Support Formula: This comes in two capsules
B1 Benfotiamine 300 mg three times a day
B2 Riboflavin 4 MG three times a day
B6 Pyridoxine 4MG three times a day
B12 Methylcobalamin 2000MCG three times a day
Stabilized R - Alpha Lipoic Acid 150 MG three times a day
D Cholecalciferol 500IU three times a day
and some other ingredients.

I have not felt any relief as of yet. I will up the dosage of R-ALA to 900 MG a day. Double the dosage. I am getting another supplement from the same company that is 300MG of Stabilized R - ALA in each capsule to keep everything the same.

I have been told this is okay and that if it causes a stomach problem, cut back.

I have done a lot of reading but cannot find anything to really say that the R-ALA will work with compressed nerves but at this point I am ready to try just about anything. I have been so active with 20 years in the Marine Corps and to now be walking around with a club foot. Bad. Have to get better.

Any of your ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

Lazer
Lazer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote