View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I see no one has been able to give you the response I imagine you are hoping for. If your lawyer can not give you any kind of answer to your question, it is highly unlikely anyone here will be able to. No two cases are alike, so even if you found someone from your state, with your exact injuries, and your wage history, it isn't very probable that your outcomes would match anyway.

Assessing your situation realistically, you might want to really read up and understand what your state's comp laws allow. This might involve reading some legal cases of claims that went to trial. Even then, no two cases are alike. Your best bet is to be considering that you may need to adapt your skills to fit your physical limitations to see if there are other means to make a living. Push come to shove, most comp statutes do not promise you work in the same field, at the same salary level, or with the same employer. Most are satisfied if you can earn a living. I know how harsh that is, but especially in today's economy, it is the reality of the situation. No matter how large your settlement is, it will not compensate you fully for lost income and lost profession. It will only compensate to the level the legislature could reasonably provide for the system. If your settlement figure will take into account your salary level at the time of injury, count yourself as lucky: some states used to, and may still, have set dollar amounts, whether you flipped burgers or designed skyscrapers or built huge agricultural equipment.

This is one reason it is wise to take your employer up on any offers of group long term disability insurance policy: even if you must pay a little more for supplemental coverage which pays at a higher rate, you have more protection if you lose your ability to work.

I recommend you continue to pursue your attorney for answers to your questions. Any answers you get here will just be speculation and might set you up to either expect more than you are going to get, or cause you to neglect to turn to the one person who might be able to come as close as possible to estimating your situation correctly.
"Thanks for this!" says:
LIT LOVE (10-14-2012)