View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neurotoxic cosmetics

My companion just walked in.

Within minutes of her arrival, my eyes start to droop, it's a bit harder for me to breath and I know it's a matter of luck if this will lead to another rapid crash or just end with doing less well and not being able to do what I planned for the day.

I have asked her about a zillion times not to use perfumes, body lotions, hair sprays or any other cosmetics that have the word "perfume" on them. But, to no avail. Every time she stops using that specific cream or hair spray, but rapidly finds another. Possibly she does try to buy something with the word Eco-friendly or organic on it, but I know that most of those contain a good amount of not very eco-friendly/organic material.

My mother and brother are (understandably) fanatic about anything that contains even traces of gluten. My 3 year old niece (with celiac) has learned to ask if what ever is offered to her contains gluten. But, they fail to understand that the effect of the wet wipes and fabric softeners they use has a similar effect on me.

A sale on a new fabric softener, led to an "attack" from a few neighbors together. It took me time to understand why I was crashing rapidly again, after a somewhat better period. Fortunately, the data I provided them with (regarding the potential toxicity of those substances not only for me but also for them) plus the less toxic substitute we bought them led to significant improvement.

It took many years until people realized that passive smoking is harmful. It took many years for people to understand that a serious condition can be alleviated by avoiding contact with gluten. (the first physicians to suggest this were ridiculed). It even took many years to understand that the simple act of washing your hands can prevent death after childbirth. (the physician who showed this was eventually put in an asylum, for saving the lives of many mothers).

So, I believe it will take many years before people will understand the potential harm in using neurotoxic substances in numerous household and cosmetic items.

Not every one who is exposed to cigarette smoking will become ill from it, yet it is now recognized as a significant harmful substance.
Not everyone eating gluten will have celiac, yet there is respect for those who are sensitive to it.

People who are more prone to the toxic effects of the thousands of untested chemicals in our environment are seen as "crazy". Their requests to decrease this exposure are seen as "unreasonable". At the most people are ready to admit that there may be an allergic reaction, but not any serious damage from it.

It is much easier to attribute their "unexplained illness" to the death of their beloved fish when they were five years old, then to seriously question the irresponsible use of numerous toxic substances.

Even the concerning rise in the incidence of cancer in young people. (we are seeing more and more cancers of the elderly in people who are in their 30s) are attributed to ridiculous explanations.

Do people really need to smell like an artificial field of flowers in order to be happy? Is this truly essential? Do humans have to keep on finding better and more efficient way to "fool" our senses? Isn't there enough color in nature that we have to create all those artificial additives? Does a blue or purple soap make you cleaner?
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-15-2012), StephC (10-15-2012)