Thread: Possible MG?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~jules~ View Post
I went back to my doctor and my MRI was clear. Good news but I am at the point of just wanting any test to show something so I could possibly get treated. Not a good way to think.

He claimed my thyroid ultrasound was clear but I read the copy after leaving and it said I have small nodes measuring 5 & 3 mm and recommends a follow-up ultrasound in six months. It sounds not serious but I will still ask him why he said it was clear.

alice md, I got a copy of my lung test and was wondering if you could tell me if the test for MG was done as I don't understand it. It says:

Methacholine inhalation challenge is negative suggesting an absence of bronchial hyperactivity.
Static lung volumes, spirometry and gas transfer are within normal range. Examination of inspiratory/expiratory flow volume curve is normal.

I asked him to send me to a pulmonologist as I'm still concerned about my breathing but he refused saying it was not needed. I told him my throat/neck pain has been very bad for several weeks to the point of keeping me from sleep and he prescribed me nitro spray to relax it. If I start to choke or it feels like it is closing up I am supposed to use it. The pharmacist said it was for angina and not for the throat closing/choking.

I was going to his nurse prac. because she will send me for testing or referrals but I think he figured me out because I phoned for an appt. then got a call back saying my case is too complex and she will no longer see me. I don't think that came from her because she has never indicated any problems to me.

I don't think I can continue to see him, he insists there is nothing wrong with me and I really believe the stress of appts. is making me worse. I am such a mess when I leave his office because he gets me so upset and leaves me feeling no hope and he just walks away. If I fire him/quit I may have no options either because doctors aren't taking patients here right now saying there is a shortage. I don't know what to do anymore
Hi Jules,

I am sorry that you have to go through this.

Your respiratory tests don't mean much, mostly if they were done on a relatively good day.

What they check is how much air can go into and out of your lungs, but they don't check how much effort it takes to move this air.

They let you do it three times and choose the best result, so they do not assess if you have fatigue of your muscles during the test.

What they can say is that quite likely you do not have asthma.

The tests you should have (at the least) are MVV (which is similar to the respiratory tests you had but you have to breath in and out as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds)-which will not be normal in someone with respiratory muscle involvement. And MIP/MEP which measure your respiratory muscle force against resistance.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anacrusis (10-15-2012)