View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephC View Post
Alice i am curious because i am beginning on learning curve
In terms of symptoms, did you also notice muscle weakness after eye droop began? Would it help to have a fan on you (in theory blow away, prevent airborne exposure?). Do the symptoms cease if you physically remove yourself from the room?
Today was not too bad.
It probably depends on the level of exposure and the type of substance.
But, after my neighbors decided to try the new fabric softener I had to use my respirator and it took me a few days to recover.
The next time it happened I recognized the smell and had my son close all the windows, so it was a less severe reaction.
A fan, actually does the exact opposite, it blows it in my face.

So, the answer is probably that the time of exposure is important. If I recognize it soon enough the reaction is probably less severe. Also, I think it depends on the fluctuations of this illness ( A more severe reaction during less good periods, but I am not sure what is causing what).
I don't think it is a 1:1 relation (meaning that my illness or even more severe exacerbation are fully explained by this), but I think it does have a significant contribution.

When I worked in a pathology lab 15 years ago, I developed a fairly severe hypersensitivity reaction to formaldehyde. But, this fully resolved once I stopped working there. Some years later, I developed an allergic reaction to latex (which is not unusual for health care workers) and then hypersensitivity to DMSO (this coincided with my MG symptoms). At a much later stage, I realized that formaldehyde is in many household items which I used regularly.

I don't know if this is applicable to every MG patient, but I know some do notice worsening MG symptoms after being exposed to certain substances. I don't know what the exact mechanism would be.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
southblues (10-15-2012), StephC (10-15-2012)