Thread: Acupuncture
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy ? I was evaluated by a neurologist who is the head of the Neuropathy Center at the University of Michigan hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

After all of the blood work and two EMG's, the neurologist could not find a cause and, thus, concluded, in an extensive report, that it is genetic or idiopathic.

My symptoms are that my feet get numb when I sit, and more numb when my legs are extended, lying down, and the symptoms get worse at night. The numbness lessens considerably when I stand, but walking has become uncomfortable because my legs feel very heavy, like lifting them with weights attached.

The symptoms started over a year ago with numbness in my right foot, and drop foot syndrome, which was surgically corrected by decompressing a nerve by my knee.

The drop foot was resolved, but the numbness continued and about six months ago spread to my left foot, with the accompanying walking difficulty. My balance has also become unsteady.

I am taking a number of. Drugs, including Simvastatin, which I discontinued for thirty days to see if it relieved my symptoms, but it did not.

At this point, I am desperate and am thinking of trying Acupuncture.

Does anyone have experience with it, good or bad, or does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I have chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy that started about 4.5 years ago. I have tried acupuncture and different acupuncture doctors several times during this period. Unfortunately I have had no success. I do know of someone who told me she got significant relief from her neuropathy using acupuncture and persuaded me to try her doctor. So I traveled to her doctor (who was several states away) but it was a waste for me. I was very disappointed, and of course, out lots of cash!

So, it appears some people have gotten help where others have not. It can't help to try, though.

I still use pain meds 3-4 times daily, but have included the supplement plan here. Benfotiamine seems to have averted the huge flare-ups I have experienced. I still get bumpy times, but haven't had serious downtime lately. I take most of the suggested supplements along with the above in hopes of more healing.

Good luck.

Linda
Artgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-15-2012), mrsD (10-15-2012)