View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Frogga,
i'm interested you raise this because i have been doing tons of medical research on adrenal crises in RSD lately. It's definitely an RSD symptom that's part of the "S" in RSD - sympathetic nervous system dysfunction. It used to be studied and published about a lot more in the 80s and 90s than it is now. But hardly any doctors seem to be writing about it now, so there aren't any treatment guidelines.
The only papers I've found in the past 5 years are by Dr Harden in Chicago. I've found better articles describing the adrenal crises problem in the Parkinsons field and the traumatic brain injury field. All basically from the same cause: sympathetic nervous system damage/failure causes the adrenal glands to go out of whack. E.G. your blood sugar doesn't regulate properly anymore, so, just as in diabetes, the fight-or-flight response kicks in, your adrenal level shoots up through the roof, your heart pounds like crazy, you get 'restless', 'hyper', you may even get the shakes ('paroxysms')('reflexes' - get it? Sympathetic Reflex dystrophy) or seizures, emotionally you may get extremely irritable, angry, irrational, pointlessly focused on some task or discussion.
It's a real, RSD-driven symptom. Isn't RSD lovely? It's not only pain, movement disorder, temperature & skin disorder - it also messes up your brain so your adrenaline and blood sugar and blood pressure go bonkers.
So sweet mild-mannered Frogga may periodically turn into a raging boxer! I think RSD needs to be fairly advanced before the adrenal system is affected, so perhaps most people posting haven't experienced this? [for those who love definitions, by "fairly advanced" I mean, after the pain has been around long enough to have converted into independently maintained sympathetic pain].
I'd be very interested to hear from others. It can begin subtly and not be noticeable by yourself at first; more likely, a spouse or roommate will get annoyed and comment on it before you realize there's been a change in your behavior or mood.
mollymcn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote