View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been allergic since I was a toddler. Seriously, I guess. Asthma. These awful drops they put on sugar for me to take. ICCCKKKKKK!!!! Mom had to remove the curtains from my bedroom. I couldn't have stuffed toys or a bedspread. She had to wash the sheets, blankets, and mattress pad weekly in hot water. I couldn't have carpet or rugs.

I've ALWAYS been sensitive to anything that smelled. I avoid the perfume areas of department stores and stay away from the laundry sections of grocery stores and Wal-mart. Everyone has always told me that my nose is tooooooo sensitive.

I started getting allergy shots at age 17/18 -- continued them til my early 30's. They did help -- I was able to at least work in a building that was cleaned with chemicals. They used to warn me if they were going to paint or use chlorine to clean bathrooms or spray pesticides (even before I was dx with MG) -- I could use a sick day if needed.

Allergies and autoimmunes, IMHO, are so closely related........the body going HAYWIRE and attacking something benign. Any stress makes ME worse.......illness, getting upset, ALLERGIES.

So, long story short, Alice, it doesn't surprise me at all that these perfumes, strong scents, chemicals are making your MG misbehave. It "ain't fair" -- but, it is, IMHO, all part of the same "game".

I think Annie and I have mentioned this before (excuse my particularly bad brain fog today) -- but, we DO "try" to "control" our environments. I am a FANATIC about what comes into my house (chemicals). I'm the same way about people who get into my car. Our house gets a yearly termite inspection -- but, the guy knows NOT to spray unless he tells me first so I can GET OUT!! I use borax and sugar/honey around the perimeter of the house to control ants.