View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I am going to suggest you get your test results for B12 in numbers. "normal" is not normal today, because the lab ranges have not been updated to the new information about this vitamin.

Hence you may be really low and not know it.

The B12 thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html
The 2003 link to American Association of Family Physicians has the guidelines for doctors now explained at a minimum of 400 US units.

All that surgical trauma of the spine certainly has a suspicious air as far as PN goes.

But also you know, drugs, and lifestyle also factor into PN quite a bit. So what drugs have you taken and are taking now?
Also vaccine history.

Hi,

Sorry that I haven't posted to this thread lately, but I found the neurologist's report (in prep for an appointment tomorrow with a physiatrist).

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 13.2 ng/mL

Vitamin B12: 549 pg/mL

Also, here're his findings from the EMG and NCV (done in May 2012):

Nerve Conduction Studies:

The right peroneal and tibial motor potentials reveal borderline low amplitude, with normal distal latency, and conduction velocity.

The left tibial motor potentials reveal normal distal latency, amplitude, and conduction velocity.

F-wave latencies are normal in the right peroneal and tibial nerves.

The right superficial peroneal sensory potentials are absent.

The right sural sensory potentials reveal normal onset latency, low amplitude, and normal conduction velocity.

The left sural sensory potentials reveal normal onset latency, amplitude, and conduction velocity.

Needle EMG:

Testing of selected muscles of the right leg with monopolar needle reveals no spontaneous activity such as positive sharp waves, fibrillation potentials,, or fasciculations in the tibialis anterior, gastrocnemius, vastus medialis, EHL, or FDL muscles.

The motor unit potentials reveal large, polyphasic configuration in the tibialis anterior and EHL muscles with reduced recruitment pattern.

Conclusions:

There is electrophysiological evidence of a sensorimotor peripheral neuropathy, with predominant axonal features, mainly affecting the sensory fibers and the right leg.

Needle EMG testing reveals no acute denervation, BUT there are chronic neurogenic changes in distal muscles, which correlates with axonal, length dependent involvement.

Reinnervation changes of the L5 myotome can also be associated with chronic L5 radiculopathy.

Can anyone interpret/comment on the above in English? I'm especially wondering about that last sentence ("Reinnervation..."), vis-a-vis I showed the above EMG/NCV info to my original neurosurgeon, and he said that there were no problems with my back/spine?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote