View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What I say is just personal opinion, not a professional opinion but based on lots of personal experience as a patient. I would not want more than three levels worked at one time unless mulitple surgeons advised it. With that in mind, I would get a second opinion before going forward with the second surgery.

I had three cervical surgeries. The main problem was nerve compression and I went through all the less invassive protocals first. The first surgery was a complete success and almost eliminated pain after four-six months. This was in 1985 and the surgeon would not let me have any pain meds after the tenth day post op. He said I was "fixed" and didn't need pain meds. (two level disc/lam) I had tylenol for pain and did manage to get some muscle relaxers from him at the ten day appt after asking him to physically examine my neck and shoulders which were a big bundle of knots. Ten years later I needed a revision due to an abundance of scar tissue and spurring and a new level that had a bad nerve compression. That second surgery was a failure as the bone implant slipped. That revision was a total success. The nerve pain was eliminated immediately. This was a different surgeon who kept me in reasonable pain meds and muscle relaxers for three to four months as needed. I would do it again. This was 12 years ago. I have a little arthritic change, which is no surprise, but it is nothing that moist heat and muscle rub doesn't fix.

Ask for detailed "at home" care details and refuse to sign discharge papers until you get them. To begin with, don't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Forget housework until your first post op appt. Don't be surprised if there is swelling in the throat and there is difficulty swallowing. Keep the food soft and chase it with lots of water. Push pops really feel good when the the throat is sore and swollen. I trust you have help at home. Stock up on frozen entrees if you haven't cooked ahead and frozen. I found Stouffers entrees a real life saver when I got tired of the soups and stews I prepared and froze ahead. After two weeks, I was ready for a soft crust pizza. At that stage, it sure tasted good.

Put a fold up table by your bed or where you will be hanging out. On it place a bunch of plastic baskets to organize the things you need. You will want one for meds, one for sleepware, toilettries, books and magazines. Fix a basket for what is important for you. Oh, you want one for snacks like puddings, jello etc. When I have major surgery, I have several six packs of generic Ensure on hand in case my appetite is off but I need to keep the nutrition up. I prefer ice cold French vanilla. Drink Drink Drink.

Sleep where it is most comfortable. I am in a recliner for about two weeks after spinal surgery. You can keep adjusting your position with greater ease. Have lots of pillows on hand and stick them them where ever it helps. I keep several between my knees when on my side to keep the spine properly aligned. I haven't had spinal surgery for six years and I am still shoving pillows everywhere. My problems are now lower lumbar and I sleep where ever I am most comfortable.

Way too many surgeons do not prepare their patients properly for what will be going on at home and how long it will last. The post op challenges vary from patient to patient, depending on how invassive the surgery was. DO NOT feel guilty if you aren't progressing as fast as you think you should or according to an unrealistic schedule you might be given from the surgeon.

Shower bench for several weeks. It is not unusual to get light headed in a nice warm shower. Rent a gizmo to raise the toilett seat for a few weeks. It makes it easier to get up and down. Six years later, I still use mine.

Use the search function up in the blue line above and you will find more good ideas. I am just rambling off the top of my head. Best wishes for a smooth surgery and recover. Hugz and prayers.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote