View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile What has helped me and what I have learned after 3 months

Hey all,

I am 3 months in after a minor concussion. I made a post a few weeks after my accident on a diving board.

I wanted to come back to give encouragement to others. While my case was very minor compared to many of you (disequilibrium, dizziness, brain fog, fatigue), I have seen great improvement recently, mostly by being proactive.

Those new to PCS and these forums, you are NOT doomed. Many visit these forums, only the less fortunate stick around. I read about how most recover within 3 months from PCS, and most others recover within 1 year. For a while, things got better, then worse, and I though my life would never be the same--I can't say it is 100% the same, but I'm finally almost "there", and most of you can be, too. Things started to change when I focused on:
* Mental health - I needed a positive attitude, and I needed to address fears such as death and disability. And just someone to talk to without driving my significant other crazy.
* Nutrition and supplements - Some things help, some don't, and it can get expensive and consuming. But just as helpful is feeling like I have some sort of control.
* Reading to get a better understand of the brain/energy production and my body.

First, I recommend a few books that I read in the last few weeks. I searched forums and Google to learn bits and pieces of "remedies", but until I read these books, I didn't understand how these things really could affect the brain or your overall health:
The UltraMind Solution (Mark Hyman)
The Better Brain Book (Carol Colman, David Perlmutter)
From Fatigued to Fantastic (Jacob Tietelbaum)
Positive Energy (Judith Orloff)
The 150 Most Effective Ways to Boost Your Energy (Jonny Bowden)

I recommend those books in descending order, and all are available on Kindle or the Kindle app on your smartphones.

I recommend reading more into everything below. It has really helped me overall to have more of an understanding about WHY certain suggestions could help me, to understand what I should be doing. I have left many things out that I've learned for brevity.

- - -

Here are things I've modified with exercise, supplements, and diet:

::::::::::::::Health, Diet, and Exercise::::::::::::::::::::::::::
* Exercise bike for 20 minutes 140BPM or less each day, following the University of Buffalo protocol for PCS.
* I've been seeing a psychologist. Just $25 a session each week under my insurance copay, and I've been working through PCS symptoms, along with other issues I have (fear of death and chronic illness, health anxiety).
* Eat less sugar. More protein, good fats, fiber.
* Have often in my diet: Whey Powder (amino acids), Green Tea (L-Theanine for calming effect), Kefir/Greek Yogurt with Probiotics (healthy gut), Almond Milk and less grains (healthy gut in case of food allergies), Eggs w/ DHA added (DHA, choline, other brain benefits), Blueberries (good for brain, and sweetening plain yogurt), Apples (quercetin, malic acid for anti-oxidation, energy), Lemons (in water, supposedly cleanses system), Tomato (lycopene), Red Grapes (reservatrol), Greens and other veggies (anti-oxidants), Flax-seed (fiber and omega 3s, although not the best for those), Wheat germ (choline)
* Also some spices: Turmeric (anti-inflammatory for brain swelling), Ginger (anti-inflammatory), Rosemary (concentration), Sage (memory), Cinnamon (blood sugar control), Iodized salt (iodine)

:::::::::::::::::::::::Supplements:::::::::::::::: :::::::::
Musts

* Multivitamin
* B Complex

Extras

* Omega 3 - 1g+ DHA/EPA per day
* Acetyl L-Carnitine / ALA combo - Take in more oxygen. ALA also controls blood sugar, restores Vitamin C/E for reuse after fighting oxidation, and to rid body of metals in chelation therapy.
* D-Ribose - Energy for heart. Vitamin Shoppe.
* Malic acid - energy, helps produce ATP, synergistic with D-Ribose, chelation
* Phosphatidylserine - Brain neurotransmitter receptors.
* Kelp - Iodine for energy, chelation, kill bad bacteria.
* Turmeric / Curcumin spices - Reduces inflammation in the brain (500mg), and possibly increases Glutathione.

Take until I run out

* Acidiphilus - Probiotic live cultures in yogurt that help digestion and fight yeast/fungal infection, helps CFS/nasal breathing. Take for a while then switch to Yogurt with Probiotics like Activia.
* DHEA - For testosterone/energy. Although it may increase estrogen in men. This one can be riskier, be careful and consult a physician, have your hormone/DHEA levels checked. Too much can cause trouble.
* Milk Thistle - Liver support, and possibly increases Glutathione.
* Lecithin - Has choline, phosphatidylserine, good for heart, liver. Try to go for NON-soy Lecithin. Less effective but much cheaper than actual PC/PS supplements.

Other considerations

* Phosphocholine (neurotransmitter receptor)
* Vitamin D
* N-acetylcysteine - increases Glutathione, for fighting inflammation, free radicals, toxins.
* Ginkgo Biloba - Dizziness and Tinnitus
* Reservatrol - Lower LDL, widen arteries, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory
* Vinpocetine - brain blood flow
* Tyrosine - dopamine for concentration
* Melatonin - sleep
* Celexa - depression

- - -

Here are some things I learned from those books:

:::::::::::::::::::::The Brain::::::::::::::::::
* Brain cells are made of fat. That is why you need DHA/EPA Omega 3s, these make better brain cells than saturated/trans fats. Besides supplements, get Omega 3 enhanced eggs, and eat low mercury fish. Note that some sources like Flaxseeds do NOT have the same kind of Omega 3s, and are less beneficial, little of the Omega 3s can be converted.
* Brain cells have receptors, made of Phosphatidylserine (PS) and Phosphatidylcholine. I am taking PS supplements, but these are $20-40 a month. If you can't afford this, at least get some choline, via cheap Lecithin supplements and food sources like eggs.
* Brain cells send each other messages to receptors via neurotransmitters. These are made from amino acids found in proteins, and include Dopamine, Seratonin, GABA, etc. Get good proteins from sources like Whey Powder to make sure you aren't deficient in any.

::::::::::::::Harmful Brain Agents:::::::::::::::::::::::
* Inflammation. Not just from accidents like most of us have had, but also from many other sources, such as infections. Try taking natural anti-inflammatories, such as Turmeric and Ginger.
* Oxidation/free radicals. Energy is made in the mitochrondria of cells, with the aid of D-Ribose, CoQ10, L-Carnitine, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)...and oxygen. When oxygen is used, free radicals are a byproduct (free electrons), that can damage the brain or any other tissue. Get plenty of anti-oxidants to bind these free radicals and flush them out of your system.
* Bacteria/Yeast. These may have more impact on your brain than you think, even from the gut. They are hypothesized to release bad chemicals into your system that can affect your brain, even if they aren't in your brain themselves. Increase your probiotics (good bacteria) and decrease sugar consumption, and get plenty of iodine and other things that can kill the bacteria.

:::::::::::::::Other Helpful Considerations:::::::::::::::::::
* Heart health - I have heart issues from birth. Heart issues that can affect blood flow through your body will also minimize oxidation and the health of your brain.
* Stress - Cortisol released from stress can negatively impact your brain performance.
axs221 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussedlawyer (11-16-2012), Leni (07-21-2014), pinka16 (04-24-2014), postconcussion (10-23-2012), Theta Z (10-16-2012), thorx89 (11-09-2014)