View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

dubnugdave,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Your trainer's clearance is of limited meaning. Did you use the ImPACT test or some other computer test to determine your recovery?

The concussed brain will react to partying similar to how it will react to another concussion, if not worse. My doctor told me to avoid alcohol back in 1970. When I have had any alcohol, I get strange hang-overs from a single serving. There are still plenty of people who think they are knowledgeable about concussions who disregard alcohol issues as a problem post concussion. The research suggests limiting alcohol to a single serving per day but primarily as a way to relax at the end of a day. They compare the negatives of the alcohol to the positives of relaxation and can justify a single serving. Getting a buzz is too much.

The post concussion hang-over can be quite different. A normal hang-over is usually a sort of allergic reaction to the metabolites of the alcohol. After a concussion, the brain has weakened nerve fibers, axons, dendrites and their myelin sheath and the glymph system that drains away the toxins. It is like your brain's wires are corroded and the sewer system is clogged. Add a rush of chemicals and the whole system gets mucked up far beyond a normal hang-over.

If you are looking for an explanation of when you can party hard again, you have come to the wrong place. Any chemicals that effect neurological function need to be considered very carefully.

The neurological damage from 420 is documented. A compromised brain makes this risk worse. What did you mean by 'doing yay?' I am not familiar with the term. Or was it a typo/brain fart?

Fortunately, many don't use or rely on the full capability of their brain so they can get away with some of the hard partying.

Please let us know how your experiences with partying are going. We can say, I told you so.....

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
poetrymom (05-07-2013)