View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Mucinex (guaifenesin) is a product OTC that helps move mucus out of the respiratory tract. It is named after "mucus". At one time it was suggested for fibromyalgia patients, but I don't think that proved to be effective.
http://enc.tfode.com/Mucinex

Mucin is a polysaccharide tissue that gets deposited in the deeper layers of the skin, sometimes along ligaments, and is connected sometimes to myxedema (hypothyroidism). It may cause carpal and tarsal tunnel in patients with hypothyroidism.
I used to have large "ganglion type fluid filled cysts" on the tops of my wrists. But with treatment those shrank away. I am not sure if that was mucinosis, but it did seem connected to my problem.

There is a condition called mucinosis, which is independent of the thyroid, that may occur rarely...mostly in older people. I have not found a cause for this type.

There is also a condition called reticular erythematous mucinosis, which is red and inflamed and causes patterns on the skin. Sometimes in response to UV radiation.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote