View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Potential long-term effects of multiple concussions

Hi all,
I've been doing a bit of research about the potential long-term effects of multiple concussions and wanted to talk to people who had concussions years ago to see what is actually happening with their brains. Statistics online about incidence of dementia and Alzheimer's aren't helpful, so I hoped someone here could give me some sort of idea of what to be prepared for in the years to come.
I am currently a college freshman competing in D1 field hockey and track. I have had at least five concussions in the last four years. My most recent was from a car accident in June and the most severe occurred about a year ago during a field hockey game where I was knocked unconscious and returned to the game and was hit another two times in the head. My neurologist told me that statistically, I should be dead or severely mentally handicapped; but I am academically back to normal and even graduated as valedictorian. I lost my photographic memory after my second concussion and up until the most recent two, I have been able to recover completely.
That being said, I don't think I ever recovered from my concussion last September. I was kept out of school for three months to avoid taxing my brain. I have suffered from visual problems like blurriness and inability to focus and post-impact nausea lasted for months. I still struggle with sensitivity to light and concentration. My biggest problem is the pervasive headaches. If I do not take Advil in the morning, I usually cannot make it through the day without headaches, and I am unable to practice without more meds. As a college athlete, this concerns me. I do not want to be dependent on pain killers to practice, but at the same time, cannot perform when my head is spinning.
I have already decided that if I suffer another head injury I am done with contact sports, but I am still very concerned about the permanent damage I may have already done. I wonder if these residual symptoms will ever go away, considering they have been here for a year post-injury. Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Sally
trouts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-17-2012)