View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PCS and possible CSF leak

Hi all,

I am new here - I am a 36 year old female, and I was in a car accident on 8/23, and had whiplash and a concussion. I feel like the whiplash is cleared up mostly. I have had CTs MRIs of both the brain and the cervical spine. All were mostly normal - a mild annular bulge at C5-C6, and some foreaminal narrowing, but nothing significant.

So, I am having orthostatic headaches which are resistant to gabapentin and Norco. My doctor put me on Lyrica last week, but the headaches are just as bad. The feel like a lot of pain in the occiput, and the top of the head. The pain is also in the neck.

My neurologist thinks I may have a CSF leak, so he wants me to do a radionuclide cisternogram next Thursday. This test is a pretty big deal with radiation and a lumbar puncture. They are planning to use CT and fluoro to guide the puncture, and it is a good hospital.

I went to the ENT to get a consult and he did a high res CT and says that he doesn't see any fracture in the sinus, and thinks that the test will be a waste of time and potentially harmful. However, he did not offer any explanation for my medication resistant headaches.

So, I have to decide if I am going to have this test which my neurologist recommends and my ENT thinks is a bad idea. I was wondering if any of you had been in a similar situation, or if you had any advice for me.

Thank you.
donsdatter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote