View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Artist,

Well... my RSD is primarily "sensory", and then "vasomotor", "and I think "sudomotor/ edema" and "motor/ trophic" tie...

Both Neurontin and Lyrica are good choices for significant allodynia/ hyperalgesia. Anticonvulsants and/ or other sodium channel blockers and/ or NMDA-receptor antagonists are all good choices (see the "pharmacotherapy guide" from the RSDSA "Pharmacotherapy" article).

Since I have significant allodynia/ hyperalgesia my Dr. feels that both of these are very helpful. She thinks that if they are helpful (they are) with the burning pain, tingling and sensitivity overall then I will be able to be more functional.

In addition to increasing the Lyrica, I am working on "touching, moving, using" for desensitization and both together should be helpful.

I also do not deal with the weight gain, sleepy/ sluggishness, etc from either Neurontin or Lyrica, so they are good choices for me for that reason.

As you know, Neurontin and Lyrica are both used for nerve generated pain. I describe my pain consistant to nerve pain: "burning", "shooting" and "tingling". I also describe it as "stabbing" quite frequently.

Using Lyrica for RSD is off-label use. It was not "made" for use of treating neuropathic pain. But, it has been shown to work.

My Dr. said that using Lyrica would be a problem if I was planning on becoming pregnant... I told her not to worry- I am not planning on that. -grin-

Overall my Dr. and I discussed the options and we decided it seemed like a very good choice for me. I am glad I started it!

Oh- and my Dr. thinks it might help somewhat with the headaches the RSD has caused.

Most of what we discussed about it was how it would help me personally, taking into acount my primary RSD symptoms, age, etc...

Sending my love!

Last edited by InHisHands; 04-27-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: always something... my grammar this time...
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote