View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
Hi IPN,
I hope you don't mind my abbreviating your screen name, as I truly don't want to write, "Hi, Idiopathic!" Lol!

Great questions, by the way. He is a lucky man to have your concern and support!

I need to kind of "pass" on answering your question about the multiple findings re: bulging annulus. I am not qualified to answer your question.

I can tell you that I have had 3 similar in my lower back, with two herniations.
In seeing an Orthopedic surgeon for his opinion, he had told me the way things "appear" on scans does not dictate the amount of pain one experiences.
Sometimes, pain is explained by changes in diagnostic imaging. Yet, some images can look as though they'd be extremely painful and they aren't!
Please note, while I can tell you what a surgeon has told me about my scans, I truly cannot guess at what your husband's scans mean in terms of chronic pain for him.

Someone with more knowledge will come along and comment, I am sure.

Again, I truly believe your husband can be helped, significantly, with physical therapy. I don't think this means he must live with chronic pain; yet, I am not qualified to offer an opinion on his situation. I can tell you with multiple areas of bulging in my own spine and with two herniations, I am able to manage any pain in this area, the more mobility and strength I maintain in this area, the better for me.

I understand your concern about both of you potentially experiencing chronic pain at the same time. Yes, that could be a challenge. (I have both PN and herniated low back condition. I find the PN more difficult to find pain relief. Yet, that is merely my own experience. )

Some of the keys here are: early intervention, improving any painful or potentially painful situation as soon as possible, and quieting the pain as efficiently as possible.

It's frustrating to look for topicals that do not have that element of tearing up eyes. If I think of one, I'll return and note it here to you!

I wonder how he would do in an Epsom salt bath? I wonder if that would help him?
Also wonder about topical magnesium in his case. (The cream is less messy than the oil.) Just thinking aloud. Maybe someone will come along and comment on this idea, too?

Glad you are here! Wish you and your husband the best!
Keep asking questions! You will find answers!

Best Wishes,
DejaVu
Hi DejaVu,

Sorry for missing to acknowledge your reply. I dont know how I did it, but it was not intentional. By all means, you can call me IPN (or anything you are comfortable with

Thank you DejaVu for your insightful post. Usually, my husband is lazy doing the therapy session specially now that he is busy attending to our new condo. But, I believe he is in pain because he regularly schedule his appointments and religiously do his exercises at home (which he never did in the past).

I rub his back with the Epsom Lotion (fragrance free). I also use this at bedtime for my tight neck and fingers.

His therapist recommended to put a small pillow behind his chair.

Again, thank you.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote