Thread: Scarry Flare
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 08:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Oh Cyn, how scary. I wondered how an ER would handle one of 'our' bad flares. With each one I debate wether or not to dial 911. That internal debate may cost me my life someday, so I'm GLAD you made the call. Better safe than sorry.

Perhaps morphine will only be needed on occasion? Just to make the ugly spasms and pain subside enough to bring you back to a ... 7? from 10?

I may start a new thread next week on Feldenkrais. I have 3 appointments scheduled with the local practitioner, my first one was Wednesday this week. Something I learned may help you now:

WE ARE MOVING WAY TOO FAST! (in an attempt to 'look' normal?)

She commented that she observed my "movements were too percussive", and said if I would move more fluidly and less 'jerkey' I would have a much better quality of life. Were I to move as slowly and as calmly as she insists, I'd be like Tim Conway's little old man character he did on The Carol Burnette Show... shuffling along going nowhere fast.

But it's where we need to be. I was told "if any movement hurts or causes the slightest discomfort - STOP". Improvement needs to be made on a near microscopic level - not measured by days passed or inches your arms can move or pounds lifted. You can try to push the envelope of pain, but you must stop with the slightest resistance. Eventually (I'm told) the brain will create new neural pathways and allow the body to move in less painful ways. Over the long term, this should cut down on the frequency and severity of our flare-ups.

I hope this will be helpful, if not, at least give you some hope to keep your chin up (figuratively speaking of course).

Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote