View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you for your reassurances. I only started with the Listerine after the second packing was removed, and am more than happy to go on to just salt water. I really hate to use things that are full of chemicals an I think that is part of the distrust I have of the OS, even though I don't think he has done anything wrong. Like you pointed out, it seems a bit strange to jump on the "infection / antibiotics" bandwagon after saying it looks fine. I am also very pro alternative therapies so am currently on Vit A and C and numerous other things recommended by my acupuncturist to aid healing and also boost my immune system. Obviously if the pain gets worse again I will not hesitate to go see the OS, but in the meantime, you have really helped settle my anxiety about this. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Popple,

I am in the dental profession, so I can offer you some help here....

First of all, the best and only thing to rinse or irrigate with is warm salt water. Any mouthwash like Listerine that is made up of chemicals, preservatives, dyes and alcohol will slow down/interfere with the healing process. Nothing in these products is therapeutic or healthy for anyone for any reason. The mouth has several hundred germs both good and bad and it is imperative to avoid disturbing the balance of these germs. Listerine and others like it cannot distinguish between the good and bad therefore they kill off all the germs predisposing the user to all sorts of oral problems. Occasional use of warm salt water is therapeutic and naturally anti bacterial.

The fact that your pain is subsiding is a good sign. The healing could be delayed due to the Listerine irrigation. I know many dentists suggest using Listerine because it is endorsed by the ADA. But the ADA also endorses mercury in dental fillings. So it's time for these dentists to simply .... pay attention and read the labels!

IV antibiotics bypass the liver unlike oral antibiotics. So the concern about over taxing the liver with IV antibiotics is unwarranted. I am unsure as to why the oral surgeon seems unconcerned about the possibility of infection stating the site looks fine, yet jumps to the possibility of doing IV therapy. Perhaps he was giving you the overall possibilities rather than the idea of it's firmly either this OR that?

Again, change your oral irrigation to salt water only ..... and hopefully
the discomfort will continue to subside. If it starts to throb or become painful, see your oral surgeon.

Bryanna
Popple is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote