View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi BadToothFairy,

The lump above the tooth is called a fistula. This occurs when the infection inside of the tooth breaks through the tooth into the jawbone and continues to travel through the gum tissue. A cyst will form in the bone as this infection spreads. The cyst will be removed at the time of the extraction. However, there will be a hole in the bone where the cyst is and depending on the size of the opening and the health of the bone, the dentist may place bone graft material in that hole to encourage new bone to form there.

Replacing this tooth with a dental implant is questionable due to the severe infection and deterioration of the bone. If the bone heals well and is healthy enough to hold an implant then the implant my be a viable option. Otherwise you would be looking at either a removable partial denture or a multi unit bridge.

The sooner this tooth is removed, the better the prognosis in the future.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToothFairy View Post
Hello,

I know this thread is a couple of months old but hoping you can advise.
I had a severe tooth infection in early 2010 which resulted in root canal treatment. Before the procedure a hard lump appeared in the bone above the tooth. When RCT was performed the endodontist said the lump was caused by the infection. After the treatment the lump decreased in size slightly but never completely disappeared. After reading a couple of threads about this issue I now know this is a cyst and am considering having the tooth removed.
So my question is - does the cyst come out at the time of extraction or is it a bit more involved? Also - this bugger tooth is first pre-molar so very visible when i smile - would it still be possible to have an implant as a replacement?

Many thanks in advance.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-19-2012)