View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
My spouse does most of the driving, but being passenger doesn't make much difference if I was to be rear-ended anyway. My surgeon did say I am an extremely high risk should I suffer whip lash.

What housework / activities CAN I do? I feel a spare part now

Thanks,
Tenderfoot x
Hi, Tenderfoot.

I have had the almost same problems in my cervical spine. I now have 8 levels fused. (C-2 to T-3) I have a "cage" around fusion and discectomy.

It will take time and PT but before you get that surgery, try to get some time to speak to your surgeon as to his/her expected results. My surgeon said he could reduce my pain by 40%. (thank God he was underestimating his own skills because he's rid me of maybe 60-70%.)

If you get some of the newer lightweight cleaning tools you may be able to clean the floor and do a little more if your doc says it's ok. It will take some time to get an OK from him. At least 6 weeks post op before even physical therapy can start.

I have a lightweight swifter that vacuums the floor and mops it in one swipe. I am post-op since mid April of this year. Just use your head and do what does not hurt you. Of course twisting is out of the question.

(darn, I love twisting! *Twisting, Twisting, Twisting the night away....* old song old dance,, I am old)

Your doc will probably do some testing with a neurologist to assure him that your spine is the culprit in your nerve damage in your arms and hands. Mine did that to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome.. And yes, it was my spine compressing the nerves. You may see some improvement with surgery and later, but it may be permanent. I have had some improvement but don't' expect anymore.

If you can, go in preop and they can teach you some tricks for just after surgery. Our hospital has all back patients go in then. And after, you will decidedly need a good/great therapist. So far, with fibromyalgia, and two cervical surgeries under my belt, I am just still getting deep massage and light exercise because of the scar tissue. You shouldn't have that. He says I am far away from water therapy which I think is the best as water that is warm is soo good for you. I need individual more therapy. It's a slow process.

I think you should know that in my case and (I think others too) stress can make it hurt worse. I sincerely believe that if you learn some relaxation techniques you will have less pain. If hubs and I argue I tense up and hurt like holy he((. If I leave the room and go into a quiet room I can calm down and relax it takes the edge off of the pain.

Leesa is right, car accidents can be extremely dangerous. My doc said after my first surgery that if I had been in an accident it could have "snapped my neck." Now we stay off of the freeway as much as possible and take the backroads. Just leave a good cushion to the car in front/back and be easy on the gas peddle. I just get over if someone wants to speed.

I wish you well and if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to post your questions here. My best to you.

Malindak

Last edited by MalindaK; 10-20-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add info
MalindaK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote