View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Lui,

Welcome to NeuroTalk and the USA.

The concussion test you took is often misunderstood. It is primarily to determine when an athlete should be removed from play. It has much less value at determining return to play condition. The worst issue is it has no validity for determining if the brain has recovered enough to be tolerant of another impact. In fact, the researchers who designed the ImPACT system that is the most widely used have specifically stated that their system is not to be used to determine whether the brain can tolerate another impact.

You have a big question to answer for yourself. Basketball is a contact sport. Heads collide and heads hit the floor. We have had many here on NT who suffered concussions playing basketball. The risk is real.

If your brain is sensitive enough to show major concussive symptoms from heading a soccer ball, it suggests that you have a sensitive brain. I assume that you have headed the ball many times during the season. That is rough on your brain.

The standard for playing contact sports is to not return to play until all symptoms have subsided. Your foggy feeling will put you at more risk of concussions. It also means that your brain does not recover quickly. So, putting yourself and your long term brain health at risk is a very serious issue. Even if you recover from the fogginess, your next concussion will very likely be much worse.

You have your whole life ahead of you. Enjoy your time in the USA so you can go home with good memories, not memories of being in a fog for most of your time here.

If you want to recover more, you need quiet rest with minimal texting and cognitive effort.

I hope you make a wise decision.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote