View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans8 View Post
Yes and no. I have been through a lot of surgeries and fear this one more than any even though this one may finally be the one that deals with the root cause. What I am most concerned about is flying home three days after surgery. What kind of shape were you in three days post-op? Also does he have to see you that morning before you can go home? Can you describe for me what the first few days were like? They told me I would spend two nights in the hospital because I am from so far away and one in a hotel.

My wife will be with me and I am trying to decide where to get a hotel room. It may be best just to stay at the hotel attached to the complex. I know you said you stayed there and it was ok. I stayed in the Market Center area this past trip and it was ok but there was nothing you could walk to for anything. I am not sure there is an area of Dallas near downtown that is like that.

I have TOS bi-laterally and he said he hoped physical therapy will make the secondary side clear up. I hope he is right because I cannot raise that arm above my shoulder. Are all the PT exercises home exercises?

My surgery is confirmed for Oct. 29. I hope you continue to do well and thanks for all of the information. I do have one more question. You said you are going back for a follow-up. How far out is that after surgery?

I know I have peppered you with a lot of questions so I guess that answers your question about my anxiety level. Thanks LH for all you have shared.
I'm sorry you're feeling anxious about your surgery.

No, he does not have to see you after you leave the hospital. They just want you nearby in case of complications. How long is your flight? I think that would be a determining factor for me if I were trying to decide when to fly back home. I made the 2 hour ride home fine on day 2, but I wouldn't have wanted to have to handle five hours or multiple layovers stuck in an airport. Three days post-op, I pretty much just wanted to lie down and sleep and take pain drugs, so I don't remember a whole lot about it.

You probably have a better idea of how you might feel about traveling since you've had prior surgeries; the deciding factor is ensuring that your pain is under control - the staff at Baylor take this very seriously, so don't hesitate to speak up if it's not controlled - remember, it's easier to prevent pain than get rid of it once it's happened, so don't try to be a hero. If you stay at the Baylor Park Plaza, you can extend your stay from day to day - they don't take reservations and don't boot people out - and go home when you feel like you're ready.

Immediately after awakening from surgery was the worst part for me, before they figured out that their fentanyl combo was doing nothing and they needed to switch to hydromorphone. Once they had that in my patient-controlled pump, things were easier - although the hydromorphone made me feel hot and itchy (but it was worth it). The first 8-12 hours post-op, the medial border of the scapula gave me a lot of trouble; ice packs helped a lot. They offered me hot packs, but I felt so hot from the drugs that I wouldn't consider it. Have your wife turn the A/C to COLD as soon as she gets to your hospital room! After 12 hours or so, things with the shoulder calmed down and I was actually more preoccupied with the discomfort from the chest drain tube than the surgical site or typical TOS pain.

At two weeks, I started PT twice a week 8 weeks; now just home exercises. I was supposed to see Dr. Pearl at the 10 week mark, but my ride weaseled out so it'll be closer to 12 weeks.
LosingHope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote