View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cb,

I think your surgeon may have been a bit over zealous with your treatment. It is definitely not ideal to place dental implants in bone that is infected. The fact that the gum tissue is opening up near that exposed implant may be a sign of infection. The pain you are experiencing is also a concern, especially since you are on heavy pain meds for other reasons.

The antibiotic clindamycin is often prescribed for dental surgery. It can however, cause various degrees of intestinal upset in some people. Sometimes this antibiotic can lead to an intestinal infection called Clostridium Difficile (C-diff for short) which often requires IV antibiotics usually administered in the hospital. If your side effects are more than just slight or they get progressively worse, call the pharmacist and get his advice on what to do.

I think you need to be seen within a day or two. If the oral surgeon is not available, I would suggest that you consult with a different oral surgeon. He has to have someone on call for him. It is also best to bring the scans with you.

In the meantime, rinse with warm salt water 3-4 times a day to help keep the bacteria down.

I wish I could offer more help.... but your situation cannot be helped here on the web. You need to be seen by the surgeon.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb61998a View Post
Hi, On 10/10/12, I had all my lower teeth extracted by an oral surgeon who, at the same time went ahead & placed the implant posts for my lower denture that will serve to hold it in place. After the procedure (I was put to sleep) I remember hearing him tell my daughter that once he was in there, the infection was massive & had even gotten into my jawbone. Told to continue on the antibiotics I had been prescribed the day prior to my procedure & rinse w/ the blue mouth wash. I went back 1 day before my check up visit was regularly scheduled b/c The post on my left side was showing a bit. After seeing the oral surgeon, he said it was fine b/c he would normally have left the top of these posts showing. (I assume he closed mine due to infection & wanted to prevent anything else from getting in..??) I was told he had done a bone graft b/c of the "massive, massive infection he found". He put me on Clindamyacin & sent me home. Now it's the 20th, I am still in lots of pain...I've never put my lower dentures in, he said to wait, wait, wait...and give my mouth & all that infection time to heal. My worries/ concerns are.. His 3-D images didn't show up this infection, or any bone loss..I have absorption problems, of which I made both him & his staff well aware of prior to any treatment, I am already on fentanyl patches & other narcotic pills for other health issues, yet I am feeling this amount of pain. I am worried the infection is still there, he should not have done post placement that day, Maybe I should've been given IV antibiotics...and the list of my worries goes on & on...plus now, even more of the post is showing & it seems where I have sutures along the top of my gum line where that post is showing, is trying to also open up...My oral surgeon, according to his assistant as of 10:15 this morning was on a plane travelling across the country & she was going to contact him & get back with me ASAP... It's now 6pm & I have yet to get that call... HELP... I am so worried....oh and to top everything else...B/C of other health issues, I'm not sure that Clindamyacin was exactly the best choice for me & my body! So, now my head is really spinning!~ thanks for any help, advice, etc. anyone can give!! ~
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote