Thread: CMT and Statins
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

They are not a cause of CMT, nor is going off them likely to eliminate all or most of your symptoms. I can tell you my experience, though.

About four years ago I was put on Tricor for high triglycerides, over 500, by my primary doctor. I was also in the process of being diagnosed with CMT. My balance had become so bad that I tripped even with a cane. I had severe pains in my legs, in addition to the loss of sensation and burning that accompanies small fiber neuropathy. My neurologist suggested in a round about way that I go off the Tricor, which I did.

My symptoms improved dramatically, especially my balance and the leg pain. I still had the loss of sensation, the burning feeling, and the tightness, as well as the muscle wastage. Four years later the pain in my legs is worse than it was then with the Tricor, but that is the disease process. My balance has never gotten as bad as it was then.

You may experience some improvement in symptoms if you discontinue the statins, but I do not believe it will affect the underlying disease process, which is always progressive.

I was able to achieve much the same decrease in my triglycerides by taking fish oil, walking every day, and losing some weight. Only you and your doctor can decide how necessary the meds are in your case.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RonJ (10-21-2012)