View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lui View Post
Hi,
thank you for your answers yet. I have to say i would be very careful playing basketball. If would recognize that my symptoms are getting worse I would stop immediately! I'll know its a contact sport and I could get another concussion. I would be send home then either. But its so freaking depressing! I'm not here to spend my exchange year at home. I know that I'm slowly getting depressive here if I couldn't do anything or couldn't do any sports. My host family isn't there for me, they actually don't really care how I'm feeling and I swear it was the most horrible month in my life. I can't anymore without knowing when this fog will end. I mean it could last for year or more. I want to life again! And then there is the other voice telling me I'm doing a big mistake and I'll destroy my life! I don't know what to do. I wish my parents and friends would be here and would forbid me playing basketball so I couldn't be in any danger. But no I'm stupid and really want to play basketball. Sport is making my exchange so much better. But yeah thanks for the answers!

I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you. It really is a terrible injury and you have been going through hell. One of the things that has been difficult for me to accept over the year since my sports related accident is what I have to give up for the rest of my life in order to protect my brain from another injury. Hockey, skating, downhill skiing, squash, soccer, inline skating, etc. I have to grieve these losses and try to focus on what sports are great for me. Cross country skiing, hiking, tennis (if I can manage!), badminton, and so many others that have much less risk. It is not easy, and I can imagine how difficult this is for you. We cannot pretend these are easy choices.

If you can let me offer you a parent's advice (I have two young children), don't return to basketball until you are completely healed...and then make a choice as to if you want to play that sport again. The life you have ahead of you - travel, family, parties, possibly having children, great career, going out to bars with friends, dancing, going to concerts, listening to loud music, etc....all of these things will be so difficult or impossible without a healthy,fully recovered brain. Sitting out the basketball season is an investment in your future. Right now, your future looks wonderful, because you have already recovered somewhat. Focus on your future - 100 years old?!! - and grieve what this has done to you. Then make a sports plan focussing on what you want your future to look like.

This really is a hellish injury. Try and get some good care from where you are studying. There should be some counsellors or some people who can help you get through this. Hang in there! And do it for yourself.
Mokey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote