View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Abby for taking the time to reply.

I don't have any of the other signs of hyperT apart from TSH is suppressed but it has been for years as medication provides my thyroid requirements so my body doesn't need to make it. There is quite a bit of controversy in the hypoT community about this... do we go on blood tests or how the patient feels. T3 is not a common mode of treatment either - but I can't function without it. So the background is that the endos do not like the fact that I take T3 and the neuro I saw is also an endo!

I have had hyperT symptoms in the past once when I accidentally took too much T3 - it was not pleasant - I was jumpy, could not keep still etc. Sadly mild tachycardia and tremor are also symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (Addison's Disease) so that is why whenever I get these symptoms it is put down to the T3 rather than adrenal problems. These can be resolved with taking hydrocortisone but appear under stressful situations (like at a consultation!). Obviously it could be hyperT - I have started a new hormone that has meant I can take less steroid and HRT so it could well mean I was taking too much T3. I just need to know! The muscle weakness came on pretty suddenly and dramatically with the heat (i am not particularly strong and my arms had been struggling and I found it difficult to keep my head up when having physio but I some charming person smashed into my car a few months ago so I have had neck problems; physio now thinks it is MS too; MRI scan on neck showed no nerve involvement) and I don't know if thyroid muscle problems are sudden or slow to develop, or if droopy eyes also occur in hyperT. I do not have the hyperT stare.

I have heard of TPP and looked into it a bit, but again I can't find out whether EMG tests would have different, same or other abnormalities depending on whether the cause is MG or thyroid excess. If the test does show difference, then that is fine, I'll accept the results whatever they may be. But if the results just show 'a problem' but not where/how then I may have to think about how to prove it either way. I just don't know who to ask and where to find out. I can't find it out from the literature I have read. Hope this makes some sense...

May I ask what you had first the MG or the Graves or did they come at the same time? When did your muscle symptoms kick in and how were you diagnosed.

Anyway thank you once again.

MrsC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
I'm not impressed by the idea that your symptoms were "too extreme to be MG"! MG can most definitely be that severe.

Did you have other symptoms of hyperthyroidism? For example, was your heart beating very fast? Were you trembling uncontrollably? Is your hair falling out? Are you having trouble sleeping, and is your mind racing, and are you very anxious? These are typical symptoms of hyperthyroidism (from the literature and from my own experience! I have Graves' disease).

Hyperthyroidism can cause weakness, but I can't imagine it could be that severe in the absence of the typical symptoms of even mild hyperthyroidism.

There is a condition called thyrotoxic periodic paralysis which causes weakness like you describe in conjunction with hyperthyroidism. I don't believe it can be brought on by overdosing on T3, but I don't really know. It might be worth looking into.

I hope you get some answers, and I hope you can get to a neurologist who specializes in neuromuscular disorders.

Abby
MrsCosh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote