Thread: Newly Diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 12:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What symptoms are you having? Dizziness, headaches, etc..? Does stress, physical exertion, or alcohol make them worse? I hit my head and fractured the bone above my eye in November and I have had post concussion syndrome ever since. It was my second concussion in 3 months and I suspect that I didn't heal completely from the first one. My main problems are dizziness/light-headed, concentration problems, and not being able to think as fast and as clearly. Some days I feel like I am almost back to normal and then other days my symptoms come back. Physical exertion, stress, and alcohol seem to make it worse for me. I exercised alot before the the concussion and I have tried to start exercising again when I feel better for a few days. That always makes my symptoms come back. After doing alot of reading I determined it probably is the exercise that has kept me from my full recovery. NHL player Tim Connolly had PCS for 11 months, but made a full recovery. MLB player Corey Koskie currently has PCS and is starting to make a recovery. Both of these guys complained about similar symptoms that I have and both said physical exertion made them worse. Univ. of Buffalo sports medicine created a treatment which Connolly finished and Koskie is currently using. They start out at low levels of exercise, which don't trigger their symptoms and every few weeks they increase the intensity until the symptoms are gone and they can exercise at pre-injury intensity. The theory is that cerebral blood flow is abnormal in some people after a concussion and graduated exercise can help bring these levels back to normal. I am trying something similar right now. Riding a bike for 5 minutes, twice a day starting out. Next week I will increase it by a minute or 2 if I don't have any symptoms. I am going to try this for 2-3 months and see if it really helps. I will let you know how it turns out.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8580

It has to be hard for you when your family does not understand and thinks you are crazy. This is a real syndrome and your family needs to understand this. There are alot of resources on the web about PCS. It might help to show them some research on it, so they can understand and support you. You will get better, but it will take time. You need to have a positive outlook on this.
yannimac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote