View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I would also like to mention that I'm trying new "smart pills". This is experimental stuff which I wouldn't recommend to everyone, but it is something to think about. Some of it has been mentioned here before, like Lion's Mane was mentioned by Mark.

NOTE: Please research these before taking any action. I have read plenty about how these work, side effects, and dosages. These pills are MORE likely to have cognitive benefits, but also MORE likely to have side effects compared to my first post. I've also searched forums like Longecity.com for people's opinions and any bad reactions. I've left out ones more likely to have issues, like DMAE.

Talk to a neurologist/naturopath before doing anything (most neuros would probably be against taking any of the below since they haven't been as heavily researched as Pharma drugs).

* Huperzine A - Has the same effect as Aricept (prescription medicine for Alzheimers that some Neuros have experimented with for PCS, and which Theta Z has had success with). It blocks chemical that breaks down acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter used in learning and memory. This MUST be cycled out (only take every three+ days).

* Piracetam - The oldest and most known *racetam. These are the most popular "smart" drugs. They can be found on Amazon. Everyone says they are safe, just take it with plenty of Choline to avoid headache.

* Lion's Mane Mushroom Extract - Takes maybe 6 months, but is being studied for its ability to regrow neurons (indirectly increases NGF - neuron growth factor). I haven't seen any dangers so far, it's just a mushroom.

* Bacopa - Apparently the best herb for cognitive abilities. Has immediate effect on anxiety levels. Memory support shown after maybe 3 months of use. Pretty safe, the most negative effect is it makes some people drowsy.

* Uridine - Good for brain. Brain uses along with Choline and DHA (Omega 3s) to regenerate Phosphatidylcholine (part of your brain cells responsible for intaking neurotransmitters).

* Alpha GPC - Better source for choline than Lecithin (dietary choline source from soy and eggs).

* SAM-e - Helps body convert Seratonin to Melatonin, and Norepenephrine to Epenephrine (however you spell those---adrenaline). Good for depression, but also good for energy and sleep.

Note that I am just now starting to take some of these supplements. I will figure out what works best for me and cut out what doesn't. I may update what has worked out of these in the future if there is any interest.

Keep improving!
axs221 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
postconcussion (10-23-2012), Theta Z (10-23-2012), thorx89 (11-09-2014)