View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.
10 yr Member

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.
10 yr Member
Default Good research work, axs! ;)

Thanks for sharing this with us here, and continued update on how you're doing, axs.

Here is just a quicklink to wiki re: Huperzine A for those of us unfamiliar with it.

For me, on a very-limited monthly income of only SSDI, I am fortunate to have Medicare Complete which includes aricept generic donzepil in their approved 'formulary' of allowable Rxs. Thus after basic living expenses are paid monthly, I can manage Rx co-pay, but cannot afford even 'affordable' supplements. (We live & learn to do what we can do, right?) Nonetheless, I am glad that you are onto the Huperzine-A as a non rx alternative. And thanks again for posting it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs221 View Post
I wanted to mention that Huperzine A is a non-prescription alternative to Aricept. I just started it yesterday. It has the same effect as Aricept; as mentioned on About.com, it is a "cholinesterase inhibitor, a type of medicine used to prevent the breakdown of acetylcholine (a chemical essential to learning and memory)."

I ordered Huperzine A on Amazon and I'm planning on taking it for a week or so and then every couple of days thereafter. **BE CAREFUL about cycling Huperzine A--if you take it too frequently, I have read (mostly hypothesis) that your body could adjust (I don't remember how...it might produce more cholinesterase or less acetylcholine). So most recommend spacing it out to maybe twice a week.**

Aricept is probably the better choice if you are already seeing a Neuro and have insurance to cover it, but this is another affordable option.

50s Babyboomer; 2008 high-impact rear-ended/totalled-MVC, closed-head injury->pcs ... "Still dealing with it."
1993, Fell on black ice; first closed-head injury; life-altering. // 2014 Now dealing with Peripheral Neuropathy, tremors, shakiness, vestibular disorder, akithesia, anhedonia, yada yada, likely thanks to rx meds // 2014: uprooted to the cold wet gray NW coast, trying to find a way back home ... where it's blue sky and warm!

__________________________________________________ _________
Each and every day I am better and better. I affirm and give thanks that it is so. // 2014-This was still true for me last year, I truly felt this a year ago. Unfortunately it holds no meaning for me now. Odd, it was the Theta mantra for years. Change change change.
Theta Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote