Thread: CMT and Statins
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
OK, thanks for the responses. Just thought that I would ask. I am new to this, and am, quite naturally, looking for anything that will help my condition.
I didn't mean to sound unsupportive, but I see that I did. I have a tendency to be blunt. If you have a pretty firm diagnosis of CMT, you should follow all the protocols for any chronic illness, eat well, exercise as you are able, get enough rest, treat yourself well. There are many books out there on the subject of chronic illness and pain, and a lot of support on this forum and others. Our point is that CMT is not treatable or curable, and the only care is palliative, i.e. pain relief and mechanical helps such as canes, AFO's, etc. It is also progressive, and coming to terms with that is important. Not all outcomes are dire. Many people with CMT reach old age with symptoms similar to osteoarthritis, but others end up in wheelchairs at middle age, and some are crippled in childhood.

If there is still a possibility that something else is causing your symptoms, pursue that because it means treatment is a real option.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote